I have personally talked to so many people about Apple and Android software updates. Believe me, there were lot of discussions, arguments, debates about this but some things I consistently heard was
- “Apple updates are so seamless and the user gets it immediately”
- “Android updates take forever to reach my phone. I want the latest build now but my phone does not support it”
- “It has been 4 months now and still haven’t got the Android Kit Kat update”
Now why is this? why can’t Android follow the pattern of Apple and give the updates to all the loyal android users out there, as soon as the updates come up? I have talked to so many people about this and have told them the reasons from my point of view in terms of comparing two different eco-systems and expecting them to act the same way although they are different on multiple counts. The differences come in many forms-
- Apple is just one manufacturer and all its phones and tablets use the same operating system whereas Android has different manufacturers different phones like HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola and so on….. Each one of them have there own separate skin on top of the android OS.
- Each apple device has the same type of hardware and thus all the software updates work seamlessly with the device. As for android, the manufacturers use different chipsets, different hardware, firmware and have to make sure the android updates are compatible with these. In most cases it is not and thus the wait, the delay and inability for all android users to get the updates instantly.
- There are millions of android phones out there and expecting the same software upgrade patterns on all phones is impossible!!!! It is like all users expecting everyone to get the same interest rate, for say there savings account throughout the world just because they have bank accounts. The point is there are different banks, there are different regions, different rules and regulations etc. (Not the greatest of analogies but I think it hits the point )
This article below nailed my thoughts exactly and gave more detailed description than I did to my colleagues. It perfectly captures the real reasons why the software updates work so differently in the Apple and Android devices.
Check it out here -> Link
Have any thoughts on this? Share it here